The COVID-19 situation in France is changing by the day. The country has already faced two lockdowns and whether there will be a third lockdown in 2021 is still unknown.
Covid-19 has had a huge effect on all of our lives, but it’s also affected real estate on the French Riviera. However, it can be frustrating to keep up to date with all the restrictions and changes. For that reason, the list below will inform you about the current Covid-19 rules and regulations in place by the French government.
A curfew has been set in place from 8 PM to 6 AM in most departments. In areas with a higher virus count, curfew is from 6 PM to 6 AM. Exemption from this curfew is only for those who present a certificate proving that they are:
- Traveling for work or education related reasons
- Attending to medical appointments that cannot be carried out virtually
- Have necessary family matters such as assisting an elderly/handicapped family member
- Carrying out missions of governmental authority
- Being summoned by judicial or governmental authority
- Walking their pet(s) within the maximum 1 km radius between from where they currently reside
This certificate can be found here.
School levels from kinder garden up to the final year of high school are to remain in session. Masks are obligatory for all children above the age of 6.
University degree level studies are all to be moved online.
The French Government has a list of all the businesses that are legally allowed to remain open and those that will remain closed.
A few examples of businesses that are allowed to be open are:
- Food shops (supermarkets, health food stores, meat shops, markets, convenience stores etc.)
- Retail businesses (clothing store, salons, barber shops, malls etc.)
- Cultural shops (libraries, art galleries, record stores etc.)
- Places of Worship (churches, mosques, synagogues etc.)
- Real Estate agencies
Travel is open both internally in the European Union and from the UK as long as you present a negative Covid-19 PCR test. Internationally, you must provide a travel certificate and state that you will self-isolate for 7 days and carry out a PCR test at the beginning and end of your stay.
Covid-19 Safety Advice
Make sure to stay safe by:
- Wash or sanitize your hands frequently
- Do not touch your face
- Wear a mask
- Practice social distancing
- Refrain from shaking hands and/or greeting people
Another recommendation is to download the app Anticovid to protect yourself and others around you.
The information above was updated on January 20th, 2021.
Current Real Estate Market on the French Riviera
Real estate agencies on the French Riviera are not shutting down their services. It’s still possible to contact the agency digitally. In fact, Wretman Estate is open for digital questions within our working hours. It’s a good idea to communicate with the agency to know how the process is handled for you if you are looking to buy or sell a home on the French Riviera.